Wednesday, April 1, 2009

FTP or in full File Transfer Protocol

This server runs on a unix platform, so CAPITALIZATION MATTERS!
A file named "file.txt" IS NOT THE SAME as "FILE.TXT"

I hadn't done anything using FTP before, this was a new learning curve for me. I downloaded FileZilla and FTP'd to recall.curtin.edu.au and from there I got a little confused!

I was looking through the local network to begin with which I didn't realise I was doing, then I went over the side for the Remote site, finally I found the readme.txt file and downloaded it. So yeah I found the answer that I was looking for CAPITALIZATION MATTERS...


I think that the method of receiving file is good, however a little confusing to begin with and it could end up being quite slow if you have a rather big file to download. It seems pretty safe seeing as you have to have passwords to access certain areas, however hackers are capable of almost anything!!





1 comment:

  1. You made a good point about local vs remote site use... it certainly was a head scratcher for me the first time I used FTP!

    ReplyDelete